The City

 Glen is surprisingly good at climbing; He passes me when I'm sitting at the trunk of the tree, resting. I watch as the sun sets over the trees.
 The sky is dark now, and the stars are bright. In the city there are too many lights, which means you can't see any stars. So this is different for me. A new place; A new me. I can forget it all.
 I climb down from the tree. I can't sit up there any more.
 I turn around and see a small light. I immediately think of fireflies.
 I walk closer. It's not fireflies. It is a light in the window of a building.
 "glen!" I yell. he runs out of the woods to where I'm standing.
 "What? Oh... Woah." he stutters.
 "Come on! They could help! There are survivors!"
 I run down the hill at full speed. My feet hit the pavement in less than a minute. But everything's different.
 There are no lights. There are no people. There is nothing.

 "Glen what's going on?" I ask him, but he just looks forward.
 I look up and down. I was right. Nothing. So I turn away.
 "I didn't know," I say, whispering. "I'm so sorry."
 He just walks forward. No expression.
 "What are you doing?" I ask him, "Glen? Glen!"
 "What?" he asks, rubbing his eyes. He sounds tired; You can tell he's had no sleep.
 "You were out of it."
 "How? I felt awake." he says.
 He stands staring at the city for a few more minutes before slowly walking toward the building that had the light on.
 "Come on, Synthia. There might be people."
 "What if it's an Afterlife?" I ask.
 "Well, we'll find out."
 I have no choice but to follow him. If I stay in the street, I could encounter an Afterlife. Maybe lots of them.
 We open the door and bolt up the stairs and run through each hallway, checking for light. We get up to the fourteenth floor when we finally see a light. Glen bangs on the door.
 "Hello? Help us! Please!" He yells.
 The door opens a crack.
 "Please come in." A voice says.
 We are not alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment