Survivor

 I walk through the door cautiously. The room is surprisingly warm. I look over at Glen. He looks relieved.
 "Thank you so much." he says.
 The man looks pretty young; Probably in his twenties or thirties.
 "Well, I thought that I was the only survivor," he says, "Who are you two? I'm Dalton."
 "I'm Glen and this is Synthia," Glen tells him, "We are so glad we're not the only ones."
 "Want something to eat? Maybe something to drink?"
 "Yes, please." I say. My throat is scratchy.
 I sit down on the torn up sofa with Glen. He looks at me and smiles.
 "Finally." is all he says. I smile back at him.
 "Here ya are." Dalton says as he puts two plates down on the wooden table.
 "Thank you." I say. On the plates are bagels with cream cheese on them. My mouth waters. I haven't had warm food in what feels like forever. I take a big bite. It tastes perfect.
 "Mmmm." I hear Glen mutter.
 "You are welcome. Stay here as long as you need. I've got a guest room over there."
 "We probably won't stay long." I say.
 When I'm done, I put my dishes in the sink then go to the guest room and put my backpack on the dresser. Glen was right. There are more people. The door to the room opens.
 "Hey." Glen says. "What are you doing?"
 "I'm tired. Going to go to sleep," I say, "You?"
 "Same."
 I go over to the bed and lie down. He comes and sits on the opposite end.
 "Do you think the Afterlives will come and destroy this city?" I ask.
 "Eventually I think they will." he says, "But not for awhile."
 I pull up the covers and close my eyes. I don't fall asleep.
 What happens if the Afterlives come tonight? Will they devour the city like they did to ours? Are there more survivors?

 When I wake up the room is still dark. It must be very early in the morning. I turn over and see Glen. He is fast asleep.
 I look around the room once my eyes have adjusted. When my eyes scan over the door, I see a white light in the hallway. It illuminates half of the room.
 I only hear Glen's breathing and my own.
 I feel a hand on my shoulder and jump.
 "Ah! Er... Oh, Glen you're awake."
 "Have been." he says. He sounds very tired.
 "What time is it?"
 "I have no freaking idea." he says. He reaches up and rubs his eyes.
 I look over at him. He looks back.
 "Go back to sleep." he says.
 "I'll try." I say as I turn away.

No comments:

Post a Comment