Escape

 "Run!" Glen says. I try to run, but I'm out of breath and the snow pushes against my feet, making me slower.
 "Glen! We need to stop! We can't run like this!" I yell back at him. I don't pay any attention to where I step.
 "Jump."
 "What? Why?" I stutter.
 He pulls my hand and jumps into a ditch. It is very wet and smells terrible. He crawls on his hands and knees into a little curve and presses his back to it. I follow.
 We are silent. Again.
 "Thank you." i say.
 "You're welcome. We can't let go of life too quickly," he says, "you still have your gun, right?"
 I had forgotten that I had it. I could have shot that Afterlife. I pull it out of the inside pocket of my jacket. The metal feels cold against my fingers.
 "Thanks for reminding me."
 "You better be good with that. I don't have one; You're the only thing I have right now." he says with a smile. The first one since the break-down.
 "I'm counting on myself."
 The Afterlife is probably gone, so we should be safe, but I don't take any chances. My luck is bad enough.
 I stand up slowly as I look around. Then I turn to the tree behind us and start to climb. I think I found a way.
 "Glen, follow me. Shhh." I whisper.
 I grab onto the lowest branch that I can find and pull myself up. The pattern continues; Branch, pull, branch, pull.
 I go until I reach a sturdy branch, and then I hang and start moving my hands along the branch, going only a few inches at a time.
 Glen looks confused.
 "What the hell are you doing?" he asks.
 "Finding a way to travel," I say, "now follow me."
 I reach the tip of the branch and slowly let go with my right hand. I see a branch of the tree next to the one we're on. I reach out and grasp it. Then I let go.
 Now that I am on the other tree, I start going in toward the tree. I don't look down.
 I reach the tree and look back. Glen is going slow and steady.
 When he reaches me, he looks at me and nods; I start again, along the opposite branch.
 We should be safer now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment